The UPecon Foundation, Inc., established in 1981, is a private, non-stock, non-profit organization whose mission is to support the research, teaching, training and community services of the University of the Philippines School of Economics. The members and officers of UPecon are all School faculty members in good standing. This relationship guarantees UPecon complete access to the technical resources of the School in order to achieve its mandate.
Being university-based, the UPecon has a constant access to other expertise, and has in the past engaged the services of professionals in public administration, law, political science, engineering, sociology, business administration, demography, mass communication, medicine and statistics. It has also teamed up with other local research institutions. Further, it has ready access to a pool of junior researchers and support staff trained in the School of Economics and other units of the University of the Philippines.
The Foundation is designed and established as a non-political, non-stock, non-profit corporation to encourage, support, assist and finance projects and programs dedicated to the pursuit of the specific purposes for which the Foundation is formed. Thus, UPecon engages in the following activities:
- Extension of assistance to projects and programs dedicated to the pursuit of new learning, investigation and experiment leading to a better understanding of economics as a social science through new approaches or methodology.
- Publication and distribution of information, statistics or data on economics and related subjects as results of studies, researches and projects.
- Cooperation with private, governmental or public institutions in underwriting, conducting and sponsoring of projects and programs dedicated to the promotion, propagation and enhancement of the programs of the UP School of Economics.
- Coordination with other non-profit institution including research agencies.
- Extension of material assistance and grants of money or any other form of assistance or donation to any individual, institution or agency which will promote the objects of the corporation.